Published March 24, 2022 17:39
BGC Dovercourt is looking for an ECE!
BGC Dovercourt is a not-for-profit organization that provides after school, summer and March break programs for over 1,000 children and youth at two locations in Toronto’s west end. The mission of the Club is to provide a safe, supportive place where children and youth can experience new opportunities, overcome barriers, build positive relationships and develop confidence and skills for life.
POSITION: Registered Early Childhood Educator (RECE)
START DATE: ASAP
NATURE AND SCOPE: The RECE will plan and implement a program for children ages 4-5 years old, incorporating the ELECT document, the How Learning Happens document and observations of children into their program plans. The RECE will follow the requirements of The Childcare and Early Years Act, the City of Toronto’s Early Learning and Care Assessment for Quality Improvement document.
REPORTS TO: Daycare Supervisor, Kids Korner Daycare
SALARY: $16.95/hr, plus government wage grants
HOURS: Monday to Friday, 10:00am – 6:00pm
• Work cooperatively with others to plan and prepare programs that reflect and promote physical, intellectual, social and emotional development of members in accordance with the Child Care and Early Years Act and the Kids Korner Daycare Centre’s philosophy.
• Plan daily activities and objectives for all curriculum areas, and all age groups.
• Use a variety of teaching techniques including modeling, observing, broadcasting, questioning, demonstrating and reinforcing.
• Observe members’ progress and behaviour to ensure programs meet identified individual and group needs, adjusting program plans as necessary.
• Complete developmental profile for each child as required by Toronto Children’s Services Operating Criteria.
• Collaborate to organize fun and educational events such as birthdays and trips.
• Participate in the evaluation of the program and recommend new activities and / or modified programming to improve effectiveness in meeting developmental needs of members.
• Develop and support cooperative working relations with other staff and supervisor.
• Organize and maintain a developmentally appropriate environment, including space, equipment and materials. Maintain play equipment and area (both indoors and outdoors) in a safe, clean and sanitary condition. Sign off on documentation that confirms area has been disinfected.
• Introduce and describe activities to members in understandable terms. Oversee and interact with members in these activities. Offer praise and encouragement through engagement.
• Carry out daily programs, menus and schedules and facilitate smooth transitions between indoor and outdoor activities or into the lunch or snack time.
• Observe general physical and emotional/social health of members (take temperature, record illness and behaviour). Follow Kids Korner Daycare Centre protocol for sending a child home for health reasons.
• Carry out procedures for emergencies and serious occurrences in accordance with the Child Care and Early Years Act and Kids Korner Daycare Centre’s policies and procedures (including evacuations).
• If required perform basic housekeeping duties (laundry, cleaning and disinfecting toys and furniture, and disinfecting members’ washrooms).
• Report concerns about special needs to supervisor for follow up and referral to outside support agencies (such as speech development).
• Maintain accepted ratio of staff to members at all times.
• Instruct, supervise and assist in self-help skills (eating, dressing, washing, sleeping, diapering, and toileting) following the applicable guidelines and regulations.
• Provide emotional and physical support in all circumstances (e.g. conflict resolution, separation anxiety).
• Carry out plans for individual special needs of child (behavioural, emotional and developmental) as recommended by various resource consultants.
• Implement behaviour management policies and procedures established by Kids Korner Daycare Centre such as redirecting members to different activities to address unacceptable behaviours and restore order and calmness.
• Utilize equipment consistent with Kids Korner Daycare Centre’s requirements (cots, stove, refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, washer, dryer, computer, VCR/DVD, projector).
• Maintain confidentiality of all information related to Kids Korner Daycare Centre’s members, parents and staff as set out in policy and procedure booklet.
• Attend staff meetings, general meetings and other functions i.e. fund raising events as required.
• May be responsible to open and close Kids Korner Daycare Centre.
The right candidate will have the following education and skills:
• Early Childhood Education Diploma/Degree and Registered Member in good standing of the College of ECEs
• Standard CPR and First Aid Certificate with infant and Child CPR, Clear Vulnerable Sector Reference Check
• Experience working with children and their parents
• Proven ability to implement program as per Centre’s curriculum approach
• Experience working with special needs children
• Demonstrated ability to be flexible and multi task
• Self-motivated, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, good organizational skills, patience, self-control, tact, sound judgment, discretion, sensitivity and a positive outlook
• Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative, and sound judgment when handling unpredictable situations
Interested applicants, should submit a resume with cover letter ASAP. We are looking to fill the role immediately.
Subject: Kids Korner Daycare - ECE
Dovercourt Boys and Girls Club is committed to employment equity. We thank all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.