Published October 19, 2021 19:10
BGC Dovercourt is looking for an Aquatics Program Swim Instructor!
We are a not-for-profit organization that provides after school, summer and March break programs for over 1,000 children and youth at two locations in Toronto's west end. The mission of the Club is to provide a safe, supportive place where children and youth can experience new opportunities, overcome barriers, build positive relationships and develop confidence and skills for life.
Start Date: Immediately
Unionized: Liuna Local 183
Reports to: Operations Manager
Location: Dovercourt Clubhouse, 180 Westmoreland Ave
Hours: Part-Time, Monday - Friday (approximately 3:00pm-8:00pm), Saturday & Sunday mornings
As the Aquatics Program Swim Instructor you will:
• Provide safe supervision of groups of members during instructional swims.
• Introduce members to water safety rules and how to respond in an emergency situation.
• Conduct initial swim evaluations at the start of the session to determine skill level of each member.
• Create appropriate lesson plans that address the skill level and age of the group or individual, helping them learn the progressive skills required to pass specific levels of the Red Cross Water Safety Program/Lifesaving Society.
• Ensure equipment and tools needed for each lesson are operational and are placed in the appropriate area of the pool deck (e.g. toys, noodles, flutter boards and so on); return cleaned equipment and tools to storage after use.
• Demonstrate specific skills and strokes.
• Employ a variety of instructional methods designed to keep members focused on learning while maximizing lesson time.
• Conduct ongoing swim evaluations during the lessons and record progress of each member. Prepare detailed report cards at the end of the session.
• Provide feedback to parents when a member has failed to pass a level.
• Work collaboratively with other staff to maintain a safe and hygienic aquatic centre.
• Attend all staff meetings and in-service training sessions.
• Comply with all Health Regulations, relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
• Current National Lifeguard (NL) certification
• Current Instructor certification - Lifesaving Swim Instructor preferred; Red Cross WSI and/or Lifesaving Society Instructor and EFA instructor also accepted
• Experience working with children and youth in recreational or aquatic setting preferred
• Valid Standard First Aid and CPR (mandatory)
• Clear vulnerable sector police record check (mandatory)
Interested applicants, should submit a cover letter and resume ASAP as we are looking to fill the position immediately.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those under consideration will be contacted.
Interested applicants, should submit a cover letter and resume ASAP.
Subject: Swim Instructor
BGC Dovercourt Club is committed to employment equity. We thank all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Job Type: Part-time